On this episode of YarnCraft, Zontee and guest co-host Michelle, manager of the Lion Brand Yarn Studio retail store & education center in NYC, talk all about socks. Michelle tells us about the great sock-related classes and the upcoming free Socktacular event, all of which take place at the LBYS.
Yes, socks are one of Liz’s favorite topics, so despite having to high-tail it out of town, Liz does share a few brief thoughts before heading out.
Books discussed include:
- Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd
- Sock Knitting Master Class by Ann Budd
- Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson
- Toe-Up Socks for Everybody by Wendy D. Johnson
- Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt & Mary Jane Wood
- More Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt & Mary Jane Wood
- 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes
- Sock Club by Charlene Schurch & Beth Parrott
- Easy Knitted Socks by Jeanette Trotman
- New Pathways for Sock Knitters by Cat Bordhi
Patterns discussed include:
- Knit Basic Socks
- Cozy Crochet Socks
- Knit Father’s Day (Flag Pattern) Socks
- Knit Father’s Day (Ribbed) Socks
- Crochet Father’s Day (Contrast Colors) Socks
- Knit Classic Cable Socks
- Knit Boot Socks
- Knit Men’s Gray Socks
- Knit Stirrup Socks
We’re also giving away 2 balls of Sock-Ease on this episode. Just leave a comment here in the show notes about why you like making socks, or if you don’t, why you haven’t made socks. Contest will run until July 28, 11:59:59 EDT. Please be sure to fill out both your name and email address when leaving a comment so that we can get in touch with you.
Zontee also interviews veteran designer, Ann Budd, author of Getting Started Knitting Socks and Sock Knitting Master Class (links to both books above), who tells us about her latest book and why shoe loves sock-making. She also mentions Sock Summit, a yarny event featuring classes and all-things sock-related that’s once again coming at the end of July.
The on Stash This: Ideas for Your Crafting Life, Zontee & Michelle talk about 5 kinds of beach-friendly projects from flip-flops to shawls. Whether you use them at the beach, or just make them on your beach vacation for some relaxing crafting, they’re patterns you’ll want to bookmark!
Patterns discussed include:
- Knit, Crochet, and Wrapped Flip Flops (8)
- Knit Super Summer Backpack
- Crochet Market Bags (11)
- Crochet Kid’s Sun Hat
- Crochet Cotton Sun Hat
- Knit Cotton Sun Hat
- Crochet Sea Breeze Top
- Knit Tiger Lily Tank
- Knit Shimmer Lace Top
- Knit Island Shawl
- Crochet Vertical Ripple Shawl
Join us again in two weeks, when we talk about favorite patterns, favorite knit & crochet books, and favorite knit & crochet magazines. What are your favorite knit & crochet resources, techniques, or yarncrafting-related activities? Leave a message on the blog or email us at yarncraft [at] lionbrand [dot] com! You can also call in and leave a message at 774-452-YARN–that’s 774-452-9276.
Theme music is “Boy with a Coin” by Iron and Wine, from the PodSafe Music Network.
00:12 Intro & welcome
01:49 Comments from Liz
03:20 Listener Comments
07:01 Sock-Making Resources and Techniques
16:05 Interview with Ann Budd
25:01 Stash This: Ideas for Your Crafting Life
30:32 Thanks to our listeners and guests